18 awards were delivered at the Gala Dinner attended by Ministers, central bankers, regulators, C-suite bankers & asset managers, policy makers and FinTech entrepreneurs
Manama, Bahrain: The 23rd annual World Islamic Banking Conference (WIBC) recognized excellence within the Islamic finance and banking industry at a high profile Gala Dinner at the beautiful ART Rotana Hotel, Amwaj Islands in Bahrain on the evening of 6th December 2016. 18 WIBC Performance Awards were granted to the top Islamic financial institutions based purely on their performance at the global, regional and national levels.
Boubyan Bank came away with the Global, GCC and Kuwait region awards, testament to its strong performance in the financial metrics of the WIBC Leaderboard. WIBC Leader board, conceived by the conveners of the WIBC, Middle East Global Advisors, is a groundbreaking performance assessment tool aimed at enabling Islamic financial institutions to benchmark their performance against their peers. The Leaderboard formed the basis of the WIBC Performance Awards, which aggregates numerous financial metrics.
Additionally, Ithmaar Bank bagged the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Award.
Other winners of the WIBC Performance Awards included:
- Bahrain Islamic Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Bahrain
- Bank Nizwa: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Oman
- Qatar Islamic Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Qatar
- Al Rajhi Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Saudi Arabia
- Dubai Islamic Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – UAE
- Al Baraka Bank Egypt: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Egypt
- Jordan Dubai Islamic Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Jordan
- Al Baraka Turkish Participation Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Turkey
- PT Bank Syariah BNI: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Indonesia
- Maybank Islamic Berhad: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Malaysia
- Social Islami Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Bangladesh
- Meezan Bank Limited: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Pakistan
- Jordan Dubai Islamic Bank: Best Performing Islamic Bank – Levant
- Maybank Islamic Berhad: Best Performing Islamic Bank – South East Asia
- Meezan Bank Limited: Best Performing Islamic Bank – South Asia
The Awards were delivered by H.E. Rasheed Mohamed Al Maraj, Governor of the Central Bank of Bahrain.
On the whole, the 23rd edition of the World Islamic Banking Conference was a smashing success with 3 days of insightful sessions, engaging discussions and great intellect with leading global players from the Islamic finance and banking industry. The event saw the debut of a unique FinTech event – Enterprise Excellerate – that brought together digital banking leaders and FinTech entrepreneurs to the WIBC platform with innovative panels on the current trends that exist in the market and how the region can keep up with those trends. The main conference of WIBC saw keynote speeches from 2 Governors and Deputy Governors, 2 C-level executives and 1 former diplomat, on the way forward for Islamic finance and the opportunities that still need to be explored by the industry, as well as innovations in this space. The event also saw the exclusive launch of 5 intelligence reports by leading global organizations: Thomson Reuters, Ernst & Young and Simply Sharia Human Capital. The reports included:
- Thomson Reuters Sukuk Perceptions & Forecast 2017
- Islamic Finance Development Report by Thomson Reuters
- The Bahrain Islamic Venture Capital Report by Thomson Reuters
- Simply Sharia – Women in Islamic Finance Report
- Ernst & Young Digital Banking Report
ABOUT MIDDLE EAST GLOBAL ADVISORS:
Connecting markets with intelligent insights & strategic execution since 1993.
Middle East Global Advisors (MEGA) is the gateway connectivity and intelligence platform to opportunities in the rapidly developing economic region that stretches all the way from Morocco in the West to Indonesia in the East – The Middle East North Africa Southeast Asia (MENASEA) connection. We pride ourselves for being at the heart of these diverse markets for over 23 years.
The World Islamic Banking Conference (WIBC) has established its reputation as the world’s largest and most influential gathering of international Islamic banking and finance leaders for over two decades. With the strategic support of the Central Bank of Bahrain, the next generation WIBC will focus on transforming Islamic finance into a global proposition by facilitating strategic opportunities, addressing systematic challenges and connecting international market players and institutional investors to the industry’s catalysts, thought leaders, partners and institutions.
For over two decades, WIBC has served as a key platform for bankers, institutional investors, asset managers, policymakers, academics and other stakeholders within Islamic finance and banking from key markets such as Luxembourg, the United Kingdom, the Middle East, Sudan, Nigeria, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and other Asian growth markets. Over the years it hosted globally renowned leaders such as Sir Howard Davies, Former Chairman of the European Central Bank, Professor Robert Kaplan of Harvard Business School, Nicholas Naseem Taleb, the author of “The Black Swan,” and Dr. Mark Mobius, Emerging Markets Guru and Executive Chairman of Templeton Emerging Markets. With its strong focus on cutting edge content, WIBC remains the strategic event for staying ahead of the innovation and technology forces that will shape the Islamic financial services industry in the near future.