UAE Senior HR professionals from across Dubai gathered at Hays fourth consecutive Employment Law Breakfast Seminar this month to hear from speakers Rebecca Ford and Samantha Ellaby of international law firm, Clyde & Co.
The event, which is held on a twice-annual basis, enables attendees to meet with subject experts and discuss employment law in practice in the UAE. It provides a basis to understand both new and existing law, as well as the opportunity to build connections by networking with other HR professionals from the region.
“While in theory there is a great level of detail about laws and decrees in the market, understanding exactly how these play out in reality can be a challenge”, says Chris Greaves, Managing Director of Hays in the Gulf region.
“We have been working closely with Clyde & Co over the past two years to establish a forum whereby attendees can gain impartial and expert insight about how employment law matters are settled by the local courts. It is also a great platform for meeting with other industry peers to understand the challenges that one another may be facing.
With the increasing interest that we are receiving for each event, it is clear that we have successfully built a platform which is of great value to the local HR community.”
The two hour presentation, which is now available on request, also covered topical employee relations issues, including: disciplinary and grievance issues, bullying and harassment, and whistleblowing. The seminar included case study learning and ended with a question and answers session.
One attendee, the HR Director at a global jewellery company, commented about the event: “A well organised and very informative employment law seminar which gave a clear update on new laws and decrees and which further provided some very useful input on how to manage disciplinary issues and dismissals. I am looking forward to the next seminar!”
Hays plc (the “Group”) is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2016 the Group employed 9,214 staff operating from 252 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2016:
– the Group reported net fees of £810.3 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £181 million;
– the Group placed around 67,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 220,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 22% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 45% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 33% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 58% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 42% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA