The students were also introduced to a key group of University of Birmingham alumni working in the UAE, ranging from pediatricians to physicists and business owners.
Pranay Manghani is hoping to begin studying Mechanical Engineering at University of Birmingham in September “The university offers a great Mechanical Engineering course, plus the research facilities are really good,” he explained of his choice of institution “I saw the videos online, and I really like the practical element. I’m also particularly impressed by the sports facilities, I knew they were good, but I had no idea until this evening that they were used by Usain Bolt!”
As well as learning about one of the world’s leading universities, students were excited to learn more about the city of Birmingham itself, the campus facilities and increased employability provided by the institution, as recognised by The Times Good University Guide.
This event follows the University’s recent announcement of a campus in Dubai, which opens in November, making it the first global top 100 and Russell Group university to establish a campus in Dubai.
- The University of Birmingham is ranked amongst the world’s top 100 institutions, its work brings people from across the world to Birmingham, including researchers and teachers and more than 5,000 international students from over 150 countries.
- The University of Birmingham was established by Queen Victoria in 1900 as Great Britain’s first civic university, where students from all religions and backgrounds were accepted on an equal basis.
- The University is renowned for its research excellence and its researchers have received 11 Nobel Prizes. From pioneering organ transplants, discovering gravitational waves and furthering understanding of Shakespeare, to developing cures for cancer, advances in robotics and revealing the structure of DNA, the University has been at the forefront of some of the most ground-breaking discoveries of the last 100 years.
- Birmingham is acknowledged for producing globally employable graduates and was chosen as the Times and Sunday Times University of the Year for Graduate Employment 2016. The University is currently ranked sixth best in the UK by prospective employers.
- The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.