With summer upon us, Cycle Souq has devised the perfect guide to ensure that you not only stay active this season but do so safely. See their tips below, on how to cruise through your next ride while avoiding any potential harm caused as a result of excessive heat and humidity.
- Plan and Prepare: Map out your journey ahead of time and ensure that your route features ample shade and locations to rest. Also see that you do not venture off too far on your own or better yet, plan your long endurance rides with friends to keep each other safe and it’s always a lot more fun. We also suggest that you tell at least one of your friends where you are going and to carry a charged phone, snacks and some money with you, in case of an emergency. The Spartan Frame Bag with Phone Holder would be apt to have fixed on your bicycle top tube to carry all of these items. The Spartan Frame Bag with Phone Holder is priced at AED99.
- Be Smart: Avoid riding during the hottest parts of the day, which is usually between 11 am and 3 pm. Riding at night is advised as it’s slightly cooler, but make sure to have front and rear lights and reflectors on the bike. Hydration is key, so be sure to carry more than enough water for your trip, and don’t forget to apply sunscreen (and reapply, often). For a bag that is sure to cater to your cycling needs, we suggest the Osprey Katari 7. It features a small, streamlined design and its stable fit keeps your water where you need it, even as your speed increases. It also boasts a bite valve to have a magnetic sternum strap, making it easier to drink from, and a front vertical-zip pocket that can store essentials such as money, sunscreen, cycling tools, or snacks. If you’re a fan of cycling at night, you’ll be pleased to know that the bag also features an LED light attachment point and reflective graphics. The Osprey Katri 7 is priced at AED438.
- The Right Clothing is Important: Protect yourself and your skin from excessive sun exposure by wearing light, breathable clothing. We recommend Donen’s jerseys which are made with premium breathable quick-dry fabric, which also feature a moisture absorption function. The jerseys even have pockets at the back for easier access to your protein bar or any other item that would be handy for you during your ride. A Donen’s Rainbow jersey is priced at AED199.
- Take it Easy: The harder and faster you ride, the more strain you put on your body. While this can’t be avoided during races, it can be avoided during leisure rides and commutes. Doing your research is vital, so spend time understanding what bike is best suited to your riding needs. In-city commutes usually require hybrid bicycles, such as the Spartan Hyperlite Alloy Bicycle. Specially designed for performance, this sleek ride features a rapid eight-speed shifter and a lightweight aluminium frame. The Spartan 27.5 Hyperlite Alloy Bicycle is priced at AED1,999.
- Protect your Eyes: Riding in bright sunshine can be tiring for your eyes, while constant and prolonged exposure to UV rays can also be damaging. For the best protection, we recommend getting a good quality pair of sunglasses with dark lenses. Our pick is the Bertoni Quasar A01 Cycling Sunglasses. It features a soft, adjustable ergonomic nose pad, ensuring the perfect fit, as well as hyper-flow cutting lenses which help to reduce condensation. The lenses are also 100 percent UV400 coated, which blocks 100 percent of harmful UVA & UVB Rays. They are also decentred to reduce the occurrence of optical distortion. The Bertoni Quasar A01 Cycling Sunglasses are priced at AED420.
- Helmets are a MUST: Helmets are designed for your safety. They are also a good way of protecting you against excessive sun exposure and heat stroke. A perfect example of a helmet that does just this is the Schwinn Adult Intercept. The Schwinn helmet helps to absorb impact, protecting your head in case of collision, while its specialized aerodynamic and 10 contoured vents allows for air to go through the helmet, which in return helps with keeping you cool. The Schwinn Adult Intercept helmet is priced at AED149.
- Fuel your performance with Electrolytes: If your rides last longer than an hour, be sure to drink plenty of fluids, especially those infused with electrolytes to help maintain your sodium levels and prevent dehydration. Aside from electrolytes, sodium can also be found in salty foods such as pretzels and peanuts.
- Give Yourself Enough Time to Recover: Recovery is critical when it comes to riding for prolonged periods, especially during the hot summer months. The best way to replenish your energy levels after a hot ride is to eat something that has a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein. We also suggest hydrating in the hours following your ride to help replace any fluids lost while exercising. Doing so will help speed up your recovery process and further prevent dehydration. Additionally, cyclists are prone to knee pain, so it is important to take breaks in between long journeys and to make use of knee support bands. We particularly like Body Sculpture’s Knee Sport’s collection. Especially the Open Patella Terry Cloth, as its stabilizer ring ensures that your kneecap stays in position, and distributes stress across your APL, PCL, LCL, and MCL ligaments, which in turn, lowers the risk of re-injury by guiding the knee cap into proper motion. We also like the fact that the Velcro straps can be attached to almost any exterior point, which helps to prevent slippage and accommodate users with different support needs. The Body Sculpture – Knee Sport Open Patella Terry Cloth is priced at AED52.
- Stay Indoors: On the days that it is too hot and humid to cycle outside, we suggest looking into buying an indoor trainer that will help in achieving your summer cycling goals. To give you the most realistic cycling experience, we recommend investing in the Tacx NEO 2T Smart trainer, as it provides a more immersive experience, wider pedal stroke analysis compatibility and when connected to an external power source, its descent simulation accurately simulates a downhill drive. Another feature worth noting is its Tacx software, which simulates the feeling of riding on different road surfaces such as gravel and cobblestone. It does so by using vibrations that are sent from the app to the trainer. Tacx NEO 2T Smart Indoor Trainer is priced at AED6,299.
About Cycle Souq:
Born in Dubai, Cycle Souq is an e-commerce platform that supplies the latest cycling equipment all in one place, offering convenience, accessibility, and most importantly, affordability to the people of the UAE. With a wide range of children, teens, recreational and professional bicycles, and accessories available, Cycle Souq is here to take the stress out of buying a bike!