Muscat, Monday: Under the auspices of His Highness Sayyid Bilarab bin Haitham Al Said, the British Embassy and Outward Bound Oman celebrated a new partnership to equip 500 young Omanis with a broad understanding of the importance of sustainability, and the causes and impact of climate change, with a focus on solutions, mitigation and opportunity.
The ceremony took place in Outward Bound Oman’s training centre in Muscat to celebrate the Climate Shapers programme with the presence of His Excellency Bill Murray, the British Ambassador in Oman and other VIP guests.
Using Outward Bound Oman’s equipped training centres in the Sharqiyah Desert and Jabal Akhdar, the Climate Shapers programme builds upon COP26 outcomes and aims to equip young Omanis with the knowledge to positively impact, influence and inspire the communities around them.
Established in Oman in May 2009 by founding partners Dentons, Shell and Suhail Bahwan, and supported by many of the leading corporates in Oman as part of their social investment programme, Outward Bound Oman is part of an international network that uses challenging outdoor journeys to develop the national talent of Oman; each year some 200,000 people around the world take part in an Outward Bound course in one of 34 countries around the world.
Outward Bound Oman provide variety of courses to different age groups starting from school students through Skills for Life course, enhancing the employability of young people throughout The Sultanate in the Next Generation course, and it also provide bespoke training courses for the emerging talent and leadership teams of many leading companies and institutions in Oman.
- Outward Bound Oman was established in 2009
- It is part of the global organization of Outward Bound
- 2009: Outward Bound Oman was officially launched by HE Yahya Al Sulaimi, Minister of Education. The founding partners were Dentons, Shell, and Suhail Bahwan
- 2010: Delivered a total of 60 courses to more than 900 participants
- 2012: Outward Bound Oman received full licenses from Outward Bound International
- 2014: Outward Bound Oman became a Not for profit Organization under the ministry of Social Development by a Ministerial Decree.
- 2016: launched a new course titled Next Generation Course that targets young people in higher education, job seekers or people in their early years of employment, and has a focus on employability issues, skill-set evaluation, basic work ethics and action planning.
- 2017: Outward Bound Oman’s first training centre was formally opened in the Sharqiyah Desert by His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tariq
- 2019: hosted the Outward Bound International World Conference in the Desert centre with more than 120 delegates from 32 OB schools around the globe.
- 2020: Outward Bound Oman’s second training centre in Muscat was formally opened by His Highness Theyazin Al Said
- 2022: the completion of Outward Bound Oman’s third training centre in Jabal Akhdar