- The Company aims to deliver best-in-class EV fast-charging infrastructure in Saudi Arabia, further unlocking the local automotive ecosystem and accelerating the adoption of EVs.
- The Company plans to establish its presence in more than 1,000 locations, installing over 5,000 fast chargers across Saudi Arabia by 2030.
The Public Investment Fund (PIF) and Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) announced today the launch of the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company (the “Company”). PIF will own a 75% stake in the Company, while SEC will hold the remaining 25% stake.
The Company aims to deliver best-in-class electric vehicle (EV) fast-charging infrastructure across Saudi Arabia, further unlocking the local automotive ecosystem and accelerating the adoption of EVs. It plans to establish presence in more than 1,000 locations, installing over 5,000 fast chargers by 2030 in cities across Saudi Arabia and on the roads that connect them, in line with applicable regulations and standards.
The Company aims to enhance Saudi Arabia’s automotive ecosystem, through collaboration with EV companies, by supplying the necessary charging stations to meet future demand. It also aims to promote private sector participation in the development of its network of charging stations and support the localization of R&D and manufacturing of technologically advanced materials, ultimately building domestic expertise and resilience.
Omar Al-Madhi, Co-Head of MENA Direct Investments at PIF, said: “The Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company will spearhead the EV transition by deploying best-in-class, widely available EV charging infrastructure to drive the growth of the EV ecosystem. Through our partnership with SEC, we will be able to accelerate the creation of synergies across the EV supply chain, driving economic growth and diversification in line with Vision 2030, and positioning Saudi Arabia as a leader in the new electrified era of the automotive industry.”
Khalid Bin Hamad Al-Gnoon, Chief Executive Officer at SEC, said: “SEC, as part of the nation’s wider energy ecosystem, develops and implements strategies that aim to enhance Saudi Arabia’s position as a sustainable energy leader, in line with the Kingdom’s efforts to promote advanced energy solutions and increase the value added by the energy sector.”
The launch of the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company is in line with PIF’s strategy to expand Saudi Arabia’s automotive capabilities to promote the country’s competitiveness on the world stage, and ultimately position it as a global leader. It will aim to further Saudi Arabia’s economic diversification efforts, driving non-oil GDP growth and creating new jobs.
The Public Investment Fund (PIF) is one of the largest and most impactful sovereign wealth funds in the world. Since 2015, when the Board was reconstituted and oversight transferred to the Council of Economic and Development Affairs, the Fund’s board of directors has been chaired by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Prime Minister, Chairman of the Council of Economic and Development Affairs, and Chairman of the Public Investment Fund. PIF a leading role in advancing Saudi Arabia’s economic transformation and diversification, as well as contributing to shaping the future of the global economy. Since 2017, PIF has established 89 companies. PIF is building a diversified portfolio by entering into attractive and long-term investment opportunities in 13 strategic sectors in Saudi Arabia and globally. PIF’s strategy, as set out in the PIF Program 2021-2025 – one of the Vision 2030 realization programs – aims to enable many promising sectors and contribute to increasing local content by creating partnerships with the private sector, in addition to injecting at least 150 billion riyals annually into the local economy. PIF works to transfer technologies and localize knowledge to build a prosperous and sustainable economy domestically. As the investment arm Saudi Arabia, PIF looks to make unique investments, and is building strategic alliances and partnerships with prestigious international institutions and organizations, which contribute to achieving real long-term value for Saudi Arabia, in line with the objectives of Vision 2030. PIF has also created an operational governance model that reflects its main tasks and objectives, in line with best international practices. Applying this model of governance enhances the level of transparency and effectiveness in decision-making and future progress.