- New Snapchat report reveals local users’ values, ambitions, and need to stay connected
- Survey also highlights the importance of authenticity, relationships, and self-expression
Dubai, UAE: Snap Inc. has released a new study highlighting how Snapchatters in the region are adopting new behaviors and values that are changing the world today. With a monthly addressable reach of 67 million unique Snapchatters in the MENA region, the report sheds light on what truly matters to the “Snapchat Generation”, and how their thinking has evolved when it comes to self-expression, communicating with family and friends, the value they place on relationships, and much more.
The report highlights how Snapchatters are a global, future-forward generation, with respondents sharing their views on inclusivity, their drive to excel, and their passion for knowledge.
Appreciating authenticity, the Snapchat Generation doesn’t have the time to be fake, with a higher percentage of Snapchatters believing in the value of being real online compared to non-Snapchatters. The Snapchat Generation is also more likely to delete things they’ve posted online if they no longer reflect their current opinions, keeping their online image reflecting their most up-to-date values. Moreover, half of those surveyed say that they are less likely to purchase from brands that promote the opposite side of social issues that matter to them. That is significant considering that the discretionary spending power for the Snapchat Generation in the UAE and Saudi Arabia alone is estimated at USD425 billion.
When it comes to relationships, the Snapchat Generation places tremendous value on their connections with family and friends, believing that they will ultimately emerge from the current pandemic with a stronger appreciation for family. Tools such as communication and camera apps help keep those relationships strong. The region’s Snapchat Generation is, for example, 1.2x more likely than non-Snapchatters to feel like they are a part of others’ lives via their stories on social, communication, and camera apps.
Jake Thomas, Head of UAE at Snap Inc., said: “From an early age, the Snapchat Generation in MENA has stepped up to be the change makers they believe the world needs. We continue to see how they harness their creativity, empathy, and the digital tools at their command to make an impact on the causes and issues that matter to them. As a result of the pandemic, the region’s Snapchat Generation also has a renewed appreciation for friends and family, and will likely carry this deep need for connection through as a defining characteristic.”
“With this knowledge at hand, we’re continuously looking for ways to engage with our community, and to play a transformative role in how people in MENA experience the world around them, whether online or in the physical world,” concluded Thomas.
What else is in the report?
- Snapchatters in the region are seeking out moments of levity, joy, silliness, and plain old fun to recharge. This includes the entertainment they consume, the digital media they depend on, and the hobbies they’re taking up as they spend more time than ever at home. The Snapchat Generation is 1.4x more likely than non-Snapchatters to gravitate towards immersive video and mobile games, including AR experiences.
- The region’s Snapchat Generation has a highly entrepreneurial spirit and strives for financial independence, with 2 in 3 Snapchatters surveyed saying that they aspire to be self-employed.
- Approximately 3 in 4 respondents say they are comfortable having traditionally uncomfortable conversations discussing mental health.
- 9 out of 10 in the Snapchat Generation describe themselves and their friends as kind, with 8 out of 10 describing themselves as creative.
The full Snapchat Generation report with additional insights and research methodology can be found here.
About Snap Inc.:
Snap Inc. is a camera company. We believe that reinventing the camera represents our greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. We contribute to human progress by empowering people to express themselves, live in the moment, learn about the world, and have fun together.