Dubai, UAE: EmiratesGBC, an independent forum aimed at conserving the environment by strengthening and promoting green building practices, acknowledged the inspiring, innovative and continuous efforts of sustainable public and private organisations in the MENA region, at the Annual MENA Green Building Awards – at Pullman Dubai Creek City Centre Dubai.
With a special opening address by Sheikha Shamma bint Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahyan, Honorary President of Emirates Green Building Council (EmiratesGBC) and CEO of Alliances for Global Sustainability, EmiratesGBC also marked the conclusion of its 9th Annual Congress held under the patronage of the UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Environment with the theme ‘Building a Sustainable Future in Uncertain Times.’
His Excellency Ali Al Jassim, Chairman of EmiratesGBC, said: “The Annual EmiratesGBC Congress and 2020 MENA Green Building Awards underlined the concerted efforts of all stakeholders to support the nation and wider MENA region to create sustainable built environments towards the goal of ‘Net Zero Buildings’ by 2050. The events not only highlighted the spirit of green innovation that thrives in the region but also the resolve of the industry to stay committed to pursuing environment-friendly best practices, despite the pandemic. This year, we recorded a significant increase in the number of entries in the net zero building category. This is very positive news as it showcases our progress towards the UAE’s New Zero Commitment by 2050. We are committed to working towards encouraging technology adoption and innovation to help create a greener future for all.”
Commenting on the event, Cristina Gamboa CEO, World Green Building Council, said: “As the first GBC to be established in the MENA region, we have always supported EmiratesGBC in expanding the sustainable building movement within the UAE and beyond. We are proud of EmiratesGBC’s commitment to sustainability excellence in the built environment, and their achievements during the past 13 years.”
The winners of the 2020 MENA Green Building Awards in 16 categories are:
- Net Zero Building Project of the Year – Solar Innovation Centre by Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA)
- Green Building Project – Masdar Etihad Eco Residences Phase 2 by Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company PJSB (Masdar)
- Sustainable Design Project – Al Sheraa Building by Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
- Facility Management Organisation – Emaar Facilities Management
- Green Contractor – Multiplex Constructions LLC
- Developer of the Year – Diamond Developers
- Green Consultant – Cundall Johnson and Partners LLP
- Green Building Product – Indoor Air Quality – Eolis Air Air Manager by Eolisair
- Green Building Product – Energy Management – Sageglass Harmony – Saint Gobain
- Green Building Product – Water Management – Permavoid – Polypipe Middle East
- Green Building Material – Construction Material – Saint-Gobain Façade System – Glasroc X by Saint-Gobain UAE
- Green Building Research – SIFS Building Envelope Analyzer by Smart Insulation Finishing Systems LLC
- Retrofit Project – Radisson Blu Deira Creek hot water retrofit by Energie GCC
- Best Operations & Maintenance for existing building – Burj Khalifa Operation and Maintenance by Emaar
- Training Initiative – Cundall Diploma by Cundall Johnson and Partners LLP
- Healthy Spaces Project – Dubai Police Young Leaders Hub by Dubai Police
Endorsed by World Green Building Council, held in partnership with regional Green Building Councils: UAE, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Kuwait, Morocco and Palestine; and supported by Platinum Partners, Majid Al Futtaim and Knauf, the 2020 MENA Green Building Awards had a wider impact as the event was livestreamed across the MENA region.
Additionally, EmiratesGBC marked another milestone with the launch of its Women’s Network, which will serve as a strong networking, mentoring and knowledge-sharing opportunity for women in the MENA region working in the field of green buildings and sustainable development, at the event.
EmiratesGBC aims to widen the scope of sustainability within the real estate sector in the MENA region with the help of such events, own research, technical trainings and programmes that empower the private and public sector entities, associations, consultants as well as green building and sustainability practitioners.
About Emirates Green Building Council:
The Emirates Green Building Council (EmiratesGBC) was founded in June 2006, and became the 8th full member of the World Green Building Council in September 2006. EmiratesGBC is an organisation that promotes and educates on green issues in the built environment and is the official body for the UAE endorsed by the World Green Building Council. EmiratesGBC currently has around 170 members in the UAE which represents 1000s of individuals interested and involved in Green Building in the UAE and the region. In addition, EmiratesGBC members receive discounts on a number of programmes such as those related to conferences, seminars, training and green building events.